Wednesday 7 February 2018, 8 pm
AGM followed by
‘Molesey Then and Now – A Journey of Discovery’ - a talk by Jenny Wood
St Lawrence School, Church Road, KT8 9DR
The Society held its 11th Annual General Meeting at the new St Lawrence School
on Wednesday 7th February. 68 members attended, with apologies from 13 others.
The business part of the meeting took about half an hour, and was followed by a
talk by our Chair, Jenny Wood, about the creation process, trials and tribulations
of bringing the “Molesey Then and Now” book into being – more of that later.
The minutes of the previous year’s AGM were approved, as was the Financial Report;
the election of officers and committee was very straightforward, as all
members of the 2017/18 committee were willing to re-stand, and no formal
motions had been received. In her Chairman’s Report, Jenny reported that
2017 had been a memorable year, with the Society celebrating its 10th
anniversary and the publication of our first book, “Molesey Then and Now”,
with over 900 copies having been sold to date.
Thursday 15 March 2018, 8 pm
Sopwith Aviation and the Great War - a talk by David Hassard
Hurst Park School, Hurst Road, KT8 1QS
On a cold evening in March an audience of some seventy people, a mixture of
MLHS and friends and members of the public, including a number of motor cycling
enthusiasts, gathered at Hurst Park School eager to hear David’s talk on a subject
not necessarily widely appreciated locally. An introduction about Tommy Sopwith
(photo) and how he came to start building and promoting his own early aircraft designs.
He set up his first factory in an old roller skating rink at Canbury Park Road in
Kingston-upon-Thames, which provided the large space that was needed to accommodate
the aircraft construction. He mentioned his partner Fred Sigrist, a very clever
engineer who lived at one time in Wolsey Road, East Molesey. He also told us of
Harry Hawker, an Australian, who became their test pilot and was a bit of a dare devil.
A full report can be found in Issue No. 42 of the Newsletter. Availble to members
now and non-members next year.
Wednesday 23 May 2018, 8 pm
Tudor Fashion - a talk by Eleri Lynn, Curator, Hampton Court Palace
Clore Centre, Hampton Court Palace, KT8 9AU
A summary report is due soon with a full report in the next members newsletter.
Tuesday 14 November 2017, 8pm
Educating Molesey: Memories of Schools and Schooling in Times Past
St Lawrence School, Church Road, KT8 9DR
Education came full circle in Molesey on 14 November.
Our meeting on the history of education in Molesey was held in the
brand-new St Lawrence School.
There was a wealth of information and artefacts on display.
The St Lawrence School History Club had made a model of a Victorian
schoolroom. Elmbridge Museum had some school-related items from their collection.
Members displayed personal memorabilia of their school days in Molesey.
The wall display included a time-line of education in Molesey relating
it to what was happening nationally. All the information members had
researched about the various schools was presented in the form of
scrapbooks so there was plenty for the 100 members and guests to look at.
A school hand bell was rung to start the proceedings,
introduced by Jenny Wood our chair. Anthony Barnes gave an
interesting and informative talk about the history of education in Molesey.
We were very lucky to have four actors from the Barn Theatre to
entertain us next. They performed a dialogue covering schools from the
1850s-1950s, talking about uniforms, punishment, school dinners,
lessons and toilets! The information in the dialogue came from school
log books and numerous interviews conducted by members. The usual
refreshments were enhanced by a real school dinner favourite,
This was a very enjoyable evening - did other members have the similar thought,
that reminiscing about school was more fun than actually going!
Thursday 21 September 2017, 8 pm
Surrey in the Great War: A County Remembers – Life on the Home Front
Talk by Imogen Middleton,
Hurst Park School, Hurst Road, KT8 1QS.
Kirsty Bennett, Project Officer from the Surrey History Centre,
gave the presentation. on ‘Surrey in the Great War – A County Remembers’.
A four-year project supported by Heritage Lottery funding and run by Surrey
Heritage. (Kirsty works alongside Imogen Middleton, our original speaker,
who was unable to make the evening).
The project aims to engage people of all ages and backgrounds across
the county to create a legacy which will tell Surrey’s story during
the Great War. This will take the form of a website recording the lives
and service of all the men and women whose names are on war memorials
in Surrey. It will not only be a comprehensive 21st century digital
memorial but also a resource to enable people to explore, discover and
understand the impact of the war on their local area and community.
A commemorative book, walking apps and an educational pack are also
planned to keep alive the memories of the Great War in Surrey.
Having briefly explained the project, Kirsty told us about some
of the research topics and the success so far in finding information.
For instance, there are records of women workers at Chilworth Munitions,
stories of local communities engaged in fundraising to support Belgian
refugees and tribunal reports of conscientious objectors.
Research materials include archives, maps, photographs, hospital records,
local newspapers and online resources such as conscription records.
We were shown the records of two VADs (Voluntary Aid Detachments) from
Molesey who gave their time to support the war effort: a driver, transporting
the sick and wounded and, a pantry worker.
Finally, Kirsty showed some examples of the website pages:
http://www.surreyinthegreatwar.org.uk/website-launched/, which invites
contributions from anyone who has any information about the experiences
of the people of Surrey in the Great War.
Thursday 20 July, 2.30 pm
Summer Stroll round Painshill Park
Portsmouth Rd, Cobham KT11 1JE
A one and a half hour walk round the beautiful grounds of Painshill Park
laid out by Charles Hamilton in the mid-eighteenth century was undertaken my
members. Our guide reminded us about Charles Hamilton and the history of the
landscape garden and showed us to the best view points as well as showing us
inside the sparkling crystal Grotto to see the dazzling stalactites. At the
end of the tour some of us took a look at the Gothic Tower, Hermitage or
Waterwheel under our own guidance.
Tuesday 6 June 2017, 8 pm
Anne Boleyn: A King’s Obsession a talk by Alison Weir
The renowned novelist, Alison Weir, spoke at the Clore Centre, Hampton Court
Palace, about her latest novel, ‘Anne Boleyn, A King’s Obsession’.
Alison is the top-selling female historian in the United Kingdom. She has sold more
than 2.7 million books – over a million in this country and more than 1.7 million in
the U.S.A. Her latest book about Anne Boleyn is the second novel in a series, ‘Six
Tudor Queens’, about the wives of Henry VIII. Alison said that her favourite of
Henry’s wives was probably Catherine of Aragon but that Anne Boleyn is definitely
the most fascinating. She described Anne as ‘unknowable’. Unlike Catherine of
Aragon, Anne did not leave a wealth of letters and much of the contemporary
information which we have about her comes from hostile sources.
Alison spoke about Anne being revered as a feminist icon and said that she feels that
it is legitimate to see Anne as a feminist. Anne, who served at the court of Margaret
of Austria, regent of the Netherlands, between 1513 and 1514 and then at the French
court, was exposed to the debate, which was being carried on in early 16th century
Europe, that questioned traditional concepts of women and called for them to enjoy
equality with men.
In January 1536 when Anne had a miscarriage, her enemies, particularly Thomas
Cromwell, determined to bring about her downfall. Cromwell and Anne had
originally been friends, but they had fallen out and Cromwell became the prime
mover in the plot against Anne. Alison thinks that Cromwell may have believed that
Anne was recovering some of the ascendancy over Henry which she had lost and that
it was his neck or hers. Cromwell based his case on Henry’s fear of treason and
Anne’s flirtatious nature. Alison believes that Anne was probably innocent of adultery
because she does not think that she would have risked her immortal soul by lying.
Wednesday 26 April 2017, 8 pm
‘Painshill The Restoration Story’ a talk by Cherrill Sands
Cherrill Sands is a freelance Garden Historian and is also chair of the Surrey Gardens
The Painshill Landscape Garden was originally created by the Hon Charles Hamilton,
who bought land near Cobham in 1738.
Garden fashion of the time was all about man ‘controlling’ nature. Hamilton’s idea
was to create scenes and views to be enjoyed on a set route around the garden. Each
area would evoke a different emotion in the viewer. He carried on creating until he
ran out of money and being forced to sell in 1773, when he retired to Bath.
After the Second World War, various parts of the estate were sold and the garden
became neglected and overgrown. In 1964, local historian, David Taylor, highlighted
the state of Painshill and Elmbridge Borough Council began to buy back land that had
been part of the original estate. Unfortunately, the National Trust was not interested,
as there was too much work involved. In 1981, the Painshill Park Trust was set up to
‘research and restore’ and ‘manage and maintain’.
With no estate papers to help, archaeology was used to identify features. It was
decided to replant only with varieties that would have been available in the eighteenth
century up until 1770.
Cherrill impressed us with her enthusiasm for Painshill and its importance to Surrey.
Funding and volunteers are always needed..
Thursday 9 March 2017, 8 pm
Kenneth Wood, Molesey Architect
‘A Modernist in Suburbia’ a talk by Dr Fiona Fisher
Our March meeting was devoted to the work of Kenneth Wood, a renowned architect
who lived and practised in Molesey. Our talk was given by Dr Fiona Fisher, who
lectures in the Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture of Kingston University and
supports the research and activities of the Modern Interiors Research Centre. Dr
Fisher is also curator of Kingston University's Dorich House Museum, the former
studio home of the sculptor Dora Gordine and her husband, the Hon. Richard Hare, a
scholar of Russian art and literature. Her book ’Designing the British Post-War
House, Kenneth Wood 1948-1968’ provided the background for the talk, which
included slides of his work.
Kenneth Wood was born in 1921 and attended Dartford Grammar School. During the
War he served in the R.A.F. His first job was with Eric Lyons in East Molesey from
1953. He established his own practice in 1955, still in East Molesey, until 1984. He
then joined another practice until his retirement in 1994.
Perhaps his most well-known building is the Stanley Picker house on Kingston Hill.
Stanley Picker wanted a contemporary home in which to house his art collection. He
had made his money in the world of cosmetics and owned the Gala factory on the A3,
which produced Outdoor Girl and Quant products.
Kenneth Wood will be remembered for his concept of flexible living: homes able to
adapt to changing family needs.
A number of the audience had personally known Kenneth and his wife, and several
recounted their own memories following the talk.
For further enquiries regarding possible visits to the Picker House and Private
Collection, please contact the administrator by e-mail:
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that although the current guardians
of the property live on site, the office hours are part time only.
You can see a 15 minute video about Kenneth
Wood, entitled ‘A
Modernist in Suburbia’ on Vimeo.
Wednesday 1 February 2017, 8 pm AGM
The Power of Beauty in Restoration England:
The Windsor & Hampton Court Beauties a talk
by Laurence Shafe
Laurence Shafe gave a most interesting talk and presentation about the Windsor
Beauties and their role within society.
Starting at the time of Charles II,
around 1660, Laurence explained how ballads were
used as a medium to poke fun at society in general. The new freedoms introduced by
the Reformation Court spread through society.
At this time 10% of businesses were owned by women, passed on to them by their
husbands. The first daily newspaper was run by a woman. However, it was a male
dominated society and so these heroic women had to fight against established norms
Mistresses were public knowledge and accepted in society, a French idea introduced
by Charles, with Charles known to have had between nine and eleven. Laurence
showed portraits of Nell Gwyn, Barbara Villiers and Louise de Kérouaille, as three
The talk was concluded with the works of Sir Peter Lely, The Windsor Beauties,
commissioned by the Duchess of York, which can now be seen at Hampton Court
Palace, and he provided interesting nicknames: Hidden; Poisoner; Poisoned;
Curse of the Nation; La Belle Hamilton; Joker; Trophy;
Villainous, Smelly, Quiet.
150th Anniversary of Molesey Boat Club
2016 marked the 150th anniversary of Molesey Boat Club. To celebrate this,
the Society had worked with Boat Club members to compile displays and talks on
the history and achievements of Molesey rowers and our November meeting was
held at the Boat Club.
Our evening began with Roger Haile providing a potted
history of rowing from ancient boats, such as triremes, to the present day. Phil Bourgignon,
head coach at Molesey Boat Club, gave us a more technical talk with examples of how
rowing has changed since the early days. This led into the talk by Martin Cross,
an Olympic rower. Martin won bronze at the Munich Olympics and a gold medal
in Los Angeles (alongside Steve Redgrave). A long-standing member of Molesey
Boat Club, John van Ingen, then gave us a talk on the history of the Club
itself, from the first club house on Ash Island to the well-equipped building today.
The evening was well attended and was a great success. We all left knowing
significantly more about rowing and our local Club than we had before.
Wednesday 14 September 2016, 8 pm
Cameras and Corsets – Dating Historical Photographs – Jane Lewis
“It’s easier to date the fashion than the photograph” declared Jane Lewis.
An old family portrait showing three generations of women illustrated the point
perfectly: the grandmother decked out in the fashions of yesteryear,
the mother a little behind the times and the daughter wearing the latest fashion.
Outfits and hairstyles can be dated – even for men whose clothes and
facial hair changed more subtly than those of women. These clues give
important indications as to not just when a photograph was taken but where.
Jane’s illustrated talk was full of rich detail enlivened by humorous
asides and personal anecdotes of her own family history photographs.
It is clearly a passion which serves her well in her day job at the
Surrey History Centre in Woking. When dating photographs for the archives,
she is helped by others in the team with particular specialisms such as
uniforms and forms of transport which can provide other important
clues to the age of a picture.
Tuesday 12 July 2016, 10.30am or Wednesday 13 July, 7.30pm
Summer Stroll – Guided Walks through Kingston
The walks were led by three different guides and it seems that we were taken
on slightly varying routes and that in some cases the guides emphasised
different facts. The walks were extremely interesting and informative
and we were given so much information that it would be impossible to
attempt to summarise it all. This is just one of the interesting facts given out:
Many people believe that Kingston derived its name from the Coronation Stone
(King’s stone) but in fact its name comes from the Old English words ‘cyning’ and ‘tun’,
meaning ‘the king’s estate’. The first written mention of
Kingston is as Cyningestun in 838.
If you would like to find out more about Kingston’s history,
Kingston Tour Guides run walks every Sunday from April to September and on the
first Sunday of the month from October to March. Walks start at the
Church Gates in the Market Place at 11 a.m., last about 1½ hours and cost £5.
Thursday 9 June 2016, 8.00pm
The King’s Chocolate Kitchen, Hampton Court Palace - Marc Meltonville,
Royal Palace Food Historian
You and I might have difficulty in losing a kitchen, but when your residence covers six acres,
with over 1000 rooms, and has undergone numerous transformations, it can happen all too easily. So it was that
Marc Meltonville, Royal Palace Food Historian was tasked with the challenge of finding the Chocolate Kitchen,
which was built for William and Mary but mainly served the Georgian kings.
After extensive research, an entry was found in an inventory made after the death of William III, which
showed that there was a chocolate room, 8th door on the right in the Fountain Court. This room was being
used for storage and, once emptied, revealed the intact kitchen – the original range where the beans would
have been roasted, Georgian shelves and even the original fold-down table for preparing the drink, still
firmly fixed to the wall.
Tea, coffee and chocolate all came to England during the 1650s. Gentlemen would meet in coffee houses
to discuss matters of the day. They would escort their wives to genteel tea houses but took their mistresses
to the chocolate houses!
Thursday 19 May 2016, 10.30am
Talk on House and Garden Tour of
Warren House, Kingston, KT2 7HY
On 19th May, 25 members and guests spent an enthralling morning listening to Vicky Good
talk about the history of the owners of Warren House and Andrew Fisher Tomlin speak about
the history of the garden and then walking round the garden and much of the ground floor of the house.
After her parents bought Warren House in 2005, Vicky’s attention was grabbed by a photograph taken
there on 22nd May 1909. This photograph showed the then owners of the house, General Sir Arthur and Lady Paget,
and various illustrious guests, including Edward VII and his mistress, Mrs Alice Keppel.
It inspired Vicky to research the story of the inhabitants of the house and in 2014 she published
a book ‘The Warren House Tales’ about their lives.
Andrew took us on a tour of the gardens and in particular of the Veitch Heritage Garden,
a walled garden which has been redesigned by Andrew to commemorate the Veitch nurseries and
to celebrate the plant hunters who risked their lives to bring back exotic plants to Britain.
Tuesday 26 April 2016, 8 pm
Thames Bridges, Staines to Kingston – Nick Pollard
On 26 April members were given a talk by Nick Pollard on ‘Thames Bridges from Staines to Kingston.
Nick explained that until the 1869 Kew and Other Bridges Act everyone using the bridges paid a toll.
There has been a bridge since Roman times in Staines, when it was known as ‘Ad Pontes’.
The bridge was broken during the Civil War to prevent movement of troops, but soon replaced
as it formed part of the main route to Exeter.
Chertsey Bridge is first mentioned in 1410 and was built by the monks of Chertsey Abbey.
In 1782 a new bridge was built which, although constructed with the number of arches specified,
did not reach the banks and had to be extended.
Chertsey Bridge, Samuel Ireland 1792
Two bridges were built over the Desborough Cut, which was opened in the 1930s
to speed transport up and down the Thames.
Walton Bridge depicted in a review of 1750
The first bridge was built at Walton on Thames in 1750. Due to the wooden lattice work,
it was known as a mathematical bridge. A stone bridge was built in around 1784, which fell down in 1859
and was replaced by a cast iron bridge in 1864. A temporary Callender Hamilton bridge was built in 1953,
which was replaced by the new bridge which opened in 2013.
The first bridge at Hampton Court was built in 1752 in the ‘chinoiserie’ style. It was followed by a
wooden bridge in 1778 and an iron bridge in 1864-5. The present bridge was styled by Lutyens to reflect the
design of Hampton Court Palace and was opened by the Prince of Wales in 1933.
The wooden bridge at Kingston was known in the twelfth century. It was broken down during the
Wars of the Roses and again in the rebellion against Queen Mary. A stone bridge was opened in
1828 and was widened to take trams in 1911-14 and again in 2001. From underneath the stages of
construction can be clearly seen.
This was an entertaining and well-illustrated talk by Nick, including some very interesting aerial views.
St Lawrence Junior School, Church Road, East Molesey, KT8 9DR
Thursday 22nd October 2015, 8pm
’Everyday Life in 13th Century Esher’, a talk by David Stone,
Oxbridge Research Fellow and Author specializing in medieval history
Dr David Stone brought to life the story of the expansion of the Winchester bishopric’s estate
at Esher and the hardships endured by the common people in the early fourteenth century as they
battled climate change, famine and the Black Death. You can read an account of the evening in
Newsletter 35 (March 2016). The results of his research will be published by Surrey Records
Society in 2017.
St Lawrence Junior School, Church Road, East Molesey, KT8 9DR
Wednesday 9th September 2015, 8pm
‘R C Sherrif from ‘Towpath to Red Carpet’, a talk by Loretta Howell
of the R C Sherrif Trust
We were treated to a fascinating and informative evening with Loretta Howells from R C Sherriff
Rosebriars Trust celebrating the life and works of local playwright Robert Cedric Sherriff.
Born in Hampton Wick in 1896, he attended Kingston Grammar School and was captain of cricket
and rowing. His ashes were placed with those of his mother in St Winifred’s Chapel, Selsey.
Today, a small half hidden plaque marks the life of a writer who is best known for Journey’s
End but in fact wrote so much more.
In 1932, he was asked to write the screenplay for The Invisible Man and then went on
to write a number of screenplays including Goodbye Mr. Chips, The Four Feathers, Lady
Hamilton, Odd Man Out, Mrs. Miniver, Quartet, No Highway and The Dam Busters. He spent
his time commuting between Hollywood, Rosebriars, (his house in Esher), a farm in Dorset
and a house in Selsey.
St Lawrence Junior School, Church Road, East Molesey, KT8 9DR
Tuesday 7th July 2015, 7pm
Summer Stroll – Royal
Jason Debney from the Thames Landscape Strategy led a fascinating walk on a beautiful summer’s evening,
introducing members to the secret world of the wildlife in the Royal Paddocks, and area not normally open to the public.
A project to restore the lost floodplain habitat of The Royal Paddocks in Home Park and look at ways of enhancing
the area for water and wildlife has been underway for four years, and includes new sluices, expansion of the
reedbeds and improvements for fish and eels, as well as kingfisher and sandmartin banks.
Thursday 4th June 2015, 8 pm
‘Thomas Cromwell: The Untold Story of Henry VIII's Most Faithful
Servant’ - a talk by Tracy Borman, joint Chief Curator for Historic Royal Palaces
Tracy Borman’s gripping account of the life and career of Thomas Cromwell, Henry VIII’s
chief minister, reminded us of how ruthless and ambitious politicians will always divide
opinion as to their motives, achievements and reputation. You can read an account of the
evening in Newsletter 33 (June 2015). Thomas Cromwell: The untold story of Henry VIII’s most
faithful servant is published in paperback by Hodder.
Clore Centre, Hampton Court, East Molesey
Wednesday 29th April 2015, 8 pm
Our well-attended AGM was followed by a talk by Bill Weisblatt, Trustee of the Garrick’s Temple
to Shakespeare Trust, titled: David Garrick – ‘’Behind the Scenes’
After studying law and a period with his brother in a wine business, David Garrick started
as a playwright, which was considered as a gentlemanly career. He then joined the disreputable
acting profession, eventually achieving acclaim playing Richard III.
As an actor/manager he brought Shakespeare back into fashion and completely changed the acting
profession with his style of interacting with other members of the cast in a natural manner.
He became a celebrity and, following his death in 1779, crowds of people visited his body
as it lay in state. Garrick and his wife moved to Hampton in 1754 to farm buildings
that had been renovated by Robert Adam. Garrick’s Temple was built in 1756 to
celebrate the genius of William Shakespeare. It is open to the public on Sunday
afternoons (14.00-17.00) from the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October.
St Lawrence Junior School, Church Road, East Molesey, KT8 9DR
February 5th 2015
‘Maps for Local History’, a talk by Carole Garrard,
Local Studies Librarian at the Surrey History Centre
Over 60 members ignored the elements and made their way to Hurst Park School to hear Carole Garrard,
local studies librarian at Surrey History Centre, tell us about the amazing maps we can access in
Surrey to illuminate the story of Molesey and its inhabitants. Molesey is well served not only by
Ordnance Survey maps dating back to the 1860s but also by Manorial, Enclosure and Estate maps going back to the 1780s.
Carole’s talk was well researched and illustrated with a selection of images relating to Molesey.
Most of the important maps covering Molesey have been scanned by the Surrey History Centre, and
photocopies and CDs are available for purchase.
November 11th 2014
‘How the East Surreys went to war in 1914’, a talk by Ian Chatfield,
curator of the East Surrey Regiment Museum
A highly appropriate topic for Remembrance Day, which attracted an audience of over 75 members and guests.
The East Surrey Regiment was formed in 1881 by the amalgamation of two Regiments with a view to saving money.
When war broke out on 4th August 1914 the 1st East Surrey battalion was based in Dublin. Eleven days later the
battalion was in France and involved in the Battle of Mons. The 2nd East Surrey battalion was in India at the
outbreak of war but was soon recalled and by January 1915 was in action in France.
During the war the Regiment lost 6,223 men.
In 1959 the East Surrey Regiment was amalgamated with the Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey)
to form The Queen’s Royal Surrey Regiment, and a Museum, now called The Surrey Infantry Museum, was
opened at Clandon Park in 1981. A visit is highly recommended.
October 3rd & 4th 2014
‘Then & Now’ Photographic Exhibition
For two days the Methodist Church in East Molesey was packed with visitors
to our enthralling ‘Then and Now’ exhibition of historic photographs
alongside present-day images of the identical locations. The modern
photographs were taken by two professional photographers who are based
in Molesey, and by members of the Society. Each pair of ‘Then and Now’
photographs was accompanied by a caption explaining the history of each
location - researched and written by Society members.
The displays really stimulated conversation and there was a constant buzz
as people shared their memories of Molesey’s past and the changes that
have taken place over the years. Whilst not everything has changed for the
better, the ‘Now’ photographs showed everyone that Molesey residents are
fortunate to live in such beautiful surroundings. One visitor wrote, ‘What a
wonderful exhibition which I thoroughly enjoyed. I am going to enjoy living
in Molesey even more now!”
September 16th 2014
‘The Treasures of St Peter’s Church’, a talk by Lindy Wilson, member of Walton & Hersham NADFAS
St Peter’s church in West Molesey was the location for a talk by Lindy Wilson
about a project carried out by volunteers from the Walton & Hersham
branch of NADFAS (National Association of Decorative & Fine Arts Societies)
to research and document the contents of the church – memorials,
metalwork, stonework, woodwork, textiles, paintings, windows and other
St Peter’s church tower was built, probably as a watchtower, in about 1420,
and is said to be the oldest building in Molesey. The present church, apart
from the tower, was built in 1843 but it replaced a much earlier building
and there are many memorials and other artefacts which are older than the
Among the memorials is one for Admiral Sir George Cranfield Berkeley,
a member of the Berkeley family who, along with the Hotham family,
were one-time Lords of the Manors of Molesey, and another for the Right
Honourable John Wilson Croker who was a Member of Parliament for 25
years and chiefly responsible for the re-building of the church in 1843.
A booklet entitled ‘A Short History of St Peter’s Church West Molesey’ is
available and can be purchased at the church.
July 16th 2014
Summer Stroll – Molesey Cemetery
On an idyllic summer evening over sixty members took a gentle stroll
through Molesey cemetery, before making their way to Hurst Park school for
refreshments and a talk by Anthony Barnes on the history of the cemetery
and some of the notable people buried there, one of whom was Sir Henry
Thompson who, ironically, was one of the first in this country to advocate
and popularise cremation! The cemetery is located in West Molesey close
to St Peter’s church and came into operation in about 1865 when St Mary’s
small churchyard became full.
On the evening of the summer stroll, flags were in place to draw people’s
attention to significant graves. Many eminent figures prominent in Molesey
public life from the late nineteenth and early twentieth century are buried
close to the cemetery office; but every area of the cemetery has a story to
tell whether it’s the graves of members of local families, a group of nuns
buried by the cemetery wall or the headstones of service men and women
who died in two world wars.
June 5th 2014
‘Real Tennis – Game of Kings - and other Tudor Sports’, a talk by Lesley Ronaldson,
former Real Tennis professional at Hampton Court
The Clore Centre at Hampton Court once again proved to be a popular venue. Lesley Ronaldson
has been associated with Hampton Court for 27 years, firstly as Tennis Professional and
‘Keeper of the Royal Tennis Court’, and latterly as a guide and lecturer. Incidentally,
the use of the word ‘Real’ in describing the game does not refer to its Royal connection
but to its status as the original (i.e. real) version of tennis.
In Tudor times sport was regarded as training for warfare. Thus there were few ball games
but lots of ‘manly pursuits’, some more dangerous than others, (e.g. jousting). Like many
sports, tennis originated in humble surroundings, the ball being played off the shop roofs
in the streets. This explains the unusual layout of a Real tennis court today, with sloping
‘penthouses’ around three of the four walls.
We were once told that Coca-Cola was the ‘real thing’ but now we know differently. A most
interesting talk, for sports fans and history lovers alike.
April 30th 2014
AGM followed by a talk by Penny Rainbow on ‘Wayneflete Tower’
The Society’s seventh AGM was held at St. Lawrence Junior School and was attended by around
100 members. After the formal business of the meeting, Penny Rainbow gave an illustrated talk
on ‘Wayneflete Tower’ in Esher which has been her home for the past 20 years. The Tower was
the gatehouse of Esher Palace which was built in the 1460s by William Wayneflete, Bishop of Winchester.
For over 300 years, it was a building of national importance, lived in and visited by some of the
most important people of the Tudor and Elizabethan periods. The Tower is all that remains of the
Palace but the site has been extensively excavated by archaeological experts and Penny has
spent the last 20 years painstakingly restoring the outside and inside of the Tower.
February 4th 2014
The Members’ Evening is essentially a social event with some history thrown in. This year’s attractions were another chance to see the display material from the ‘Bridges’ evening and a talk by two of the Society’s members on a part of Molesey with its own distinct character. This is the area in West Molesey where the ‘Howard Houses’ are located. These are so called after Donald Howard, an enterprising young property developer who, in 1933, embarked on a plan to build a community for middle class Londoners looking for a more rural lifestyle. Sadly this dream was never fully realised as Howard went bankrupt when only 300 houses had been completed. Although many of the houses have been altered and extended in the 80 years since they were built, the estate still retains its distinctive Modernist look and the houses are much in demand.
November 15th 2013
‘Bridge on the River Thames’, the History of Hampton Court Bridges
On 3rd July 1933 Edward, Prince of Wales, officially opened the new Hampton Court Bridge. Now 80 years later, and following extensive research, the Society mounted a comprehensive display that commemorated the four bridges built at Hampton Court since 1763. This was complemented by illustrated talks given by three members of the Society telling the story of the bridges and their construction.
To conclude the evening, one of the Society’s members who, as an eight year old school boy was amongst the pupils who were invited to the opening ceremony in 1933, told us that having walked from Park Road school and then waited for what “seemed like ages” to see the Prince of Wales “for all of 50 seconds” and then walked back to school having had no lunch or tea the whole thing seemed “a bit of a non-event”. Hopefully nobody could say the same about a very interesting and entertaining evening.
September 17th 2013
‘History of Frederick Paine, Undertakers’, a talk by Ian Smith, curator of the Frederick W Paine Museum in Kingston
Around 80 members and visitors attended this informative talk but to what extent their interest lay in the past or
the future is not known! At the time of his death in 1945 Frederick W Paine had the largest network of branches of
any funeral directing business in the country, including one in East Molesey. The name still survives but the
business is now part of Dignity Plc. Also surviving are the company’s records of past funerals, some of which
Ian Smith brought along so that members could search for relatives or friends. The Frederick W Paine Museum is
located at 24 London Road, Kingston and is open on Tuesdays, free of charge.
July 4th 2013
Summer Stroll & Talk by Toby Butler entitled ‘Liquid History: houseboat life and the Elmbridge riverside trail
East Molesey Cricket Club was the starting point for this year’s Summer Stroll which involved following the Elmbridge
riverside audio trail from Cigarette Island to the Hurst Park Heritage Marker. Before the walk, Toby Butler, a University
lecturer specializing in audio history, regaled us with stories of life on the river Thames which included his own
recollections of living on a houseboat, as well as recordings of people speaking about their lives working and
living on narrow boats in the 1940s and 1950s.
May 23rd 2013
‘Hampton Court in Old Photographs’, an illustrated talk by Ian Franklin and Robert Hoare
The Clore Centre provided an appropriate backdrop for a talk on the development of photography
in the 19th Century and the popularity of Hampton Court as an early subject for photographic pioneers.
The first photographs of Hampton Court date back to 1845 and comparisons with modern photographs help
to identify changes to the Palace over the years. The development and popularity of photography –
Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were both enthusiasts – led, in the 1850s, to the Victoria and
Albert Museum instigating a project to photograph all works of art and historic buildings for
posterity and commercial exploitation.
April 25th 2013
AGM followed by a talk by John Sheaf entitled ‘Victorian Hampton’
The Society’s sixth AGM was held at St. Lawrence Junior School and was attended by over 100 members.
After the formal business of the meeting, John Sheaf gave an illustrated talk on ‘Victorian Hampton’.
John used his collection of old photographs to show that, although some of the Victorian buildings are
no longer in existence, the overall structure of Hampton remains much as it was in Victorian times.
January 29th 2013
Sport on the Hurst - Part 2
Another good turnout at St Paul’s Church for the second part of our Sport on the Hurst programme.
A number of well-researched and very informative talks were given by four members of the Society’s Committee –
Jenny Wood, Paula Day, Wendy Wilson and Anthony Barnes. The sports covered were hunting, cock fighting,
prize-fighting, duelling, athletics, archery, golf, ballooning and swimming. In addition to the talks
there was a comprehensive display of historical memorabilia including an actual pair of cockspurs and
a fascinating set of instructions as to appropriate behaviour when swimming in the Thames.
November 14th 2012
A talk by Nick Barratt on ‘House History’
Nick Barratt of BBC’s ‘Who Do You Think You Are’ and the History Channel’s
‘Hidden House Histories’ gave a very informative talk which explained how to
set about building up the history of a house. Starting from getting to know the
neighbours, he went on to describe how to access the many and varied sources
that are available, and what sort of information these might supply.
Nick has very kindly offered to make copies of his presentation available
to any member of the Society and also to guests at the meeting. If you would
like to receive a copy by email, please contact Jill Wilkins, on email@example.com,
and we will send one to you in its original digital form. Also, for anyone who
wants something more in-depth, Nick has a few copies of his book
‘Tracing the History of Your House’ that he is happy to sell at a
discounted price of £10 (instead of £15.99). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
if you would like a copy.
Nick’s agency undertakes personal research and would be happy to
take on the research of your house. Contact email@example.com
for further information. His new website is http://www.house-detectives.co.uk,
where you will find further details.
October 12th 2012
Sport on the Hurst
The faithful – about 150 of them – flocked to Mole Hall to witness another of the Society’s in-house productions.
The subject was the history of sporting activity on Molesey Hurst which stretches from Tudor times to the present day.
Originally planned to coincide with the London 2012 Olympics, it was particularly appropriate that Molesey played a part
in the Olympics as host to some of the Cycling events. The evening consisted of an introduction by the Society’s Chair,
Jenny Wood, followed by illustrated talks on Cricket by John Hutton and Horse Racing by Stewart Nash, both of which
featured Pathé News clips. The talks were supplemented by displays of photographs and other material. Sadly there was
insufficient time to do justice to all the other sport that has taken place on the “Hurst” and so a further evening is
planned for early in 2013 to cover the exclusions.
July 11th 2012
This year’s Summer Stroll was the sixth such event since the Society was formed in 2007. It was an event tinged with
sadness as Tony Osborne who had designed and led the previous strolls died on 5th May this year. Fortunately Tony’s
plans for this year’s stroll were well advanced and with his daughter Mary taking over the post walk presentation the
stroll was a tangible and fitting tribute to Tony’s efforts on behalf of the Society. Armed with a specially drawn map
strollers were able to visit 18 places of interest in the East Molesey Old Village Area and with these fresh in our minds
Mary Osborne provided more detail in her presentation.
Thursday 24th May 2012
A talk by Dr Annie Gray on ‘Dining with Kings (and Queens):
Eating at Hampton Court Palace through History’
Another excellent turn-out for our annual Clore Centre meeting.
Dr Annie Gray, who clearly enjoys her subject, provided an illuminating
insight into the eating habits of the ‘court’ at Hampton Court.
The sheer scale of the provisioning and cooking arrangements was
immense but a great source of employment for the local people.
Fortunately the River Thames was on hand to help deal with the waste
disposal problem. Although it was a warm night, no one felt like swimming!
Wednesday 25th April 2012
AGM followed by a talk by Dr David Parker entitled ‘Dickens and the
Thames: Richmond to Hampton’
The Society’s fifth AGM was held at St. Lawrence Junior School and was
attended by over 120 members. After the formal business of the meeting, Dr David
Parker, former Curator of the London Dickens Museum, gave an illustrated talk on
Charles Dickens’ connection with the Thames from Richmond to Hampton. Dickens
habitually rented houses close to the river, inviting friends to share the
delights of the ‘countryside’, and his works contain many references to the
scenes and characters he encountered whilst staying in the area.
Friday/Saturday 9/10th March 2012
Exhibition – Life in Molesey during WWII
A well-attended exhibition was held over two days at Molesey Royal British
Legion entitled ‘Life in Molesey during World War II’. This was a follow-up, at
the request of members, to the meeting held in November 2010 and it provided
another opportunity for members to view photographs and other material depicting
life during the conflict.
Tuesday 31st January 2012
Imber Court – A Stately Home for Horses
Chris Forester, a former officer in the
Metropolitan Police Mounted Training Division,
gave an illustrated talk on the history of Imber
Court through the ages. Once part of Henry
VIII’s hunting grounds, it became a private
house in the 17th Century and remained so until
1915 when the War Department leased it for use
as a munitions testing ground. After WW1 the
estate was broken up with parts being developed
for housing and light industry. The rest was
sold to the Metropolitan Police, who turned it
into a training centre and sports facility.
November 16th 2011
It’s Carnival Time! A look back at the Molesey Carnival over the years.
Imber Court was once again the venue for yet another brilliant show by the Society’s research team.
With the aid of photographs, films, newsreels, press cuttings, and presentations by Anthony Barnes and
Clive Kirk, the history of the Molesey Carnival was retold to an appreciative audience of over 100
members and guests. Originating from the ‘pound day’ collections and parades in support of the
Molesey cottage hospital, the Carnival has developed into an essential part of the social calendar
for Molesey residents.
September 8th 2011
Claremont House – Talk and Tour
Today, Claremont House is the home of Claremont Fan Court School attended by 600 pupils
between the ages of 3 and 18. But its history, as explained by Pamela Rider, one of the teachers
at the school, stretches back to the early 18th Century when the first house was built by Sir John
Vanbrugh. The present Palladian-style mansion with gardens landscaped by Capability Brown was built for
Clive of India and was subsequently bought by Queen Victoria as a home for her youngest son. More
recently it saw action during WWII as the base for the design team of the
Hawker Siddeley Aircraft Company.
June 21st 2011
Summer Stroll – Island Barn
This year’s stroll took us to the Island Barn Reservoir, the opening of which took place 100 years ago
on 4th November 1911. This is very much ‘off the beaten track’ and members were able to satisfy their curiosity
by walking round the perimeter by the water’s edge and enjoying splendid panoramic views. Later, at Chandler’s
Field School, Tony Osborne gave another of his entertaining and illuminating talks about the reservoir and its construction.
May 19th 2011
‘Henry VIII, The Making of a Tyrant’, talk by Dr Suzannah Lipscomb.
In the historical setting of Hampton Court, Suzannah Lipscomb, author of the book,
‘1536 – the year that changed Henry VIII’, described the events that turned Henry VIII from a
fun-loving guy into a grumpy and despotic old man. Certainly the lack of a male heir contributed to
Henry’s ill-temper but Suzannah believes that perhaps physical causes may have been at the root of the
change in his personality. A very enjoyable and informative evening.
April 7th 2011
AGM followed by a talk by Ron Smedley entitled ‘We Are Fred Karno’s Army’
The Society’s fourth AGM was held at St. Lawrence Junior School and was completed
without incident. After the formal business of the meeting, Ron Smedley, Chairman of
Hampton Riverside Trust, gave an illustrated talk entitled ‘We Are Fred Karno’s Army’.
This was an entertaining account of the rags-to-riches-to-rags story of the man whose
name became a synonym for organized chaos and whose fun palace called The Karsino
brought the smart set flocking to Tagg’s Island in the 1910s.
February 15th 2011
‘The Elmbridge Hundred’. A talk by Alistair Grant
The Parish Room at St Paul’s Church was absolutely full to hear artist,
writer and historian Alistair Grant give a talk on the Elmbridge Hundred.
This community project, initiated by Alistair, to celebrate the centenary
of the Elmbridge Museum, was designed to research, document and celebrate some
of the remarkable and diverse people associated with Elmbridge.
For more details about ‘The Elmbridge Hundred’ visit
November 12th 2010
Life in Molesey during World War II
It was a V for Victory evening at Mole Hall when an audience of almost 200 people
experienced a vivid recreation of everyday life in Wartime Molesey. The scene was
set with a montage of photographs and memorabilia displayed around the hall illustrating
such diverse topics as the Home Guard and the story of evacuees.
An audio visual presentation, using photographs, film and sound effects,
then told the story of the war’s impact on the people of Molesey.
A quartet of actors from the Barn Theatre then took the stage bringing
to life many powerful reminiscences obtained from Molesey residents.
One account told of schoolchildren watching a dogfight overhead whilst bullets hit the playground!
To round off the evening the audience was invited to enjoy food cooked from wartime recipes
and to read the heartwarming Wartime Diaries of a teenager living with her parents in Vine Road.
October 2nd 2010
A Walk round Walton-on-Thames led by Bryan Ellis
Bryan Ellis led 17 members on a guided walk round the centre of Walton-on-Thames.
The circular route started at the Riverhouse Gardens, continued along the towpath to
the Old Manor House, then via the crossroads in the centre of the town to St Mary's Church,
the old Village Hall and Elmgrove before returning to Riverhouse Gardens.
Bryan is the author of 'Walton Past' and his knowledge and enthusiasm gave
us an extremely enjoyable and interesting afternoon.
September 16th 2010
‘Water, Water, Everywhere’ a talk by Ray Brodie on the waterways of Bushy Park
Once again a very good turn out of members and guests at Hurst Park Primary School to hear
Ray Brodie give a memorable account of all that goes on in Bushy Park. Ray is currently
the Park Manager for Bushy Park and the Longford River, and is able to draw on 30 years
"on the job" experience in the Royal Parks.
The story began with the Longford River, which flows past Heathrow and feeds the
Park and the waterways in the Park itself. Ray then covered the history of the Park and its
various features, before concluding with details about the recent restoration of the Water
Gardens and the Diana Fountain.
June 22nd 2010
Our third Summer Stroll, this time taking in the Kent Town Conservation Area.
Tony Osborne once again gave us the benefit of his expertise, producing maps for
the walk and an illustrated talk afterwards. The architectural styles in the
area, particularly in Palace Road, illustrate the eclecticism of the mid to late
Victorian era, ranging from Gothic Revival to Italian Renaissance.
May 19th 2010
A talk by Annie Gray on ‘Getting By’ at William III’s Hampton Court
Our annual visit to the Clore Centre at Hampton Court and a most appropriate
setting for a highly entertaining and informative talk by Dr Annie Gray on life
at the Baroque Palace of William III. Dr Annie Gray is a historic food expert
and costume interpreter who regularly appears as a guide at the Palace in the
guise of the Countess of Carlisle. Using telling details of changes in domestic
consumption, clothing, eating and drinking, she illustrated how William and
Mary’s reign marked the birth of modern times and healed the Civil War legacy of
Britain’s ‘broken society’.
April 21st 2010
AGM followed by a talk by Cliff Taylor on Hurst Park Racecourse and his
career as a jockey.
Another good turn out for the Society’s third AGM, held at St. Lawrence
Junior School. The formal business of the meeting was completed without incident
and then Cliff Taylor entertained us with an illustrated talk on Hurst Park
Racecourse and his life as a professional jockey. From Cliff’s entrance in full
racing silks to his advice to would-be punters, the whole show was riveting.
Worth the £5 annual subscription alone.
March 9th 2010
A talk by Nick Barratt from the BBC’s ‘Who Do You Think
You Are?’ programme on Family History and the Media.
Nick Barratt entertained in excess of 160 members and
guests at Imber Court with an account of his background
in research whilst working at the National Archives
followed by his work with various TV programmes on House
History, eventually leading to his involvement with the
BBC’s ‘Who Do You Think You Are?’.
January 19th 2010
Our third Members’ Evening, once again held at St Paul’s
Church, included contributions from members of the
Special Interest Groups on Hampton Court Station and the
demographic changes in Molesey following the coming of
the Railway, plus displays of historical maps and other
material. Finished off with mulled wine and fruit cake
November 10th 2009
Talk by Carole Cuneo and Peter Collins of the Cuneo
Society on the life and work of the well-known Molesey
artist Terence Cuneo
Anyone who thought that Terence Cuneo just painted
trains and cars was very pleasantly surprised to
discover an artist with complete mastery over an
extremely wide range of subjects, particularly
ceremonial events such as the Coronation of Queen
Elizabeth II. This talk by Cuneo’s daughter, Carole, and
Peter Collins of the Cuneo Society covered every aspect
of the artist’s life and work, and by the end one longed
to own a Cuneo original or to have attended one of his
famous New Year parties.
The Cuneos have left their mark on Molesey. Terence had
his cars serviced at the Walton Road Garage – Lewis
Balkwill still owns Cuneo’s old Bristol – and Carole
once owned the model railway shop in Molesey.
September 17th 2009
‘The First Line for Leisure’ – What the Railway did for Molesey
The coming of the Railway in 1849 was one of the pivotal
events in the recent history of Molesey. It was built as
the country’s first line for leisure - to give Londoners
access to Hampton Court Palace, the River Thames and
Hurst Park - but turned a sleepy rustic area into a
Well over 120 members and guests came to the Molesey
Youth Centre to hear members of 3 of the Society’s
Special Interest Groups – Waterways, Transport, People &
Buildings – tell the story of the construction of the
railway, the development of leisure and sporting
activities, and the effect on the social landscape. In
addition, these carefully researched presentations were
supported by a whole variety of maps and photographs.
June 16th 2009
About 75 people strolled (not all at the same time)
beside the Mole and the Ember on a lovely summer evening
visiting points of historical interest, including the
sites of the Upper Molesey and Ember Mills. Tony Osborne
provided an annotated map of the route, which included a
visit to the garden of the Old Manor House in Bell Road.
After the walk came the illustrated talk, by Tony
Osborne, expanding on the history of this surprisingly
open and almost rural area of Molesey.
May 13th 2009
Talk on the ‘Knights of Christ’ by Chris Gidlow
Our third visit to the Clore Centre at Hampton Court
Palace, and a most interesting illustrated talk by Tower
of London expert Chris Gidlow entitled ‘Knights of
Christ’. The talk covered the antics of the Knights
Templar and Knights Hospitaller from the 11th Century
onwards, and described the founding of these orders,
their involvement in the Crusades, and their time as
residents of Hampton Court.
April 23rd 2009
AGM, followed by a talk on ‘Molesey Mills’ by Brian
The Society’s second AGM, held at St. Lawrence Junior
School, attracted just over 100 members. The formal
business of the meeting was completed without incident
and then Brian Smith gave an illustrated and
entertaining talk entitled ‘Molesey Mills: a story of
conflict, scandal, gunpowder, explosions, theft and
March 5th 2009
Jill Hyams from the Surrey History Centre gave a
well-illustrated and enjoyable talk about the sources
available at the Surrey History Centre to assist those
interested in researching the history of their house.
Jill highlighted various techniques which she had used
in researching the history of her own house.
February 6th 2009
The Floods Part 2.
By public demand, a re-run of the highly popular meeting
held last September to commemorate the 40th Anniversary
of the 1968 Floods. Another excellent evening and,
thanks to the all-ticket format, no problems in
accommodating all those attending.
January 20th 2009
Our second Members’ Evening, once again held at St
Paul’s Church, included contributions from all the
Special Interest Groups (Waterways, Transport, Sport,
People & Buildings) plus displays of historical maps and
other themed material. All rounded off with mulled wine
and fruit cake.
November 18th 2008
Talk by Nicholas Reed on ‘Alfred Sisley on the Thames
and the Welsh Coast’.
Another packed house, this time at the Molesey Youth
Centre, and a top-class illustrated talk by Nicholas
Reed, the well-known art historian, about Sisley’s
paintings of the Thames at Molesey in 1874 and his later
works of the Welsh Coast in 1897. Slides of Sisley’s
paintings were projected alongside recent photographs of
the same locations in both Molesey and South Wales.
September 19th 2008
40th Anniversary of 1968 Floods.
Members and visitors packed Mole Hall for an
audio-visual evening commemorating the 40th Anniversary
of the 1968 Floods. The programme included newsreels,
amateur film footage, eye-witness accounts from some of
those living in Molesey at the time, and a host of
June 18th 2008
Thames Riverbank Walk, followed by a talk by Tony
Osborne at Molesey Boat Club.
A leisurely stroll on a fine evening along the riverbank
from Hampton Court Station to Molesey Boat Club was
followed by a dip into Tony Osborne’s history box with
revelations about the Thames Canal Scheme of 1805 and
the proposed Molesey Boulevard of 1918, both of which
were abandoned following objections from local
residents. Plus ça change!
May 21st 2008
Talk on the Hampton Court Fire in 1986 by Dennis
Another good turn out for our second visit to the Clore
Centre at Hampton Court Palace. With the aid of
wonderful photographs Dennis Ashbourne described the
drama of the fire which gutted the State Apartments of
William and Mary. He then took us on the painstaking
journey from the damp and smouldering remains to the
complete restoration of the South Wing which was
re-opened in 1992.
April 24th 2008
AGM, followed by a talk on ‘The Thames and Riverside
Houses from Hampton Court to Hampton’ by John Sheaf.
The Society’s first AGM, held at St. Lawrence Junior
School, attracted a good crowd and the formal business
of the meeting was completed without incident. John
Sheaf then gave an illustrated and well researched talk
on the history of The Thames and its environment from
Platt’s Eyot to Hampton Court, a distance of only one
and a half miles, but packed with historical interest.
March 6th 2008
Talk by Dr. Ken Brown on ‘History of Hospitals and the
NHS in Molesey’
Over one hundred members and visitors came to the
Molesey Youth Centre to hear Dr. Ken Brown give a
fascinating illustrated talk about medicine in Molesey.
The first part of his talk was about the cottage
hospitals, of which there have been three. Dr. Brown
then went on to give an engaging personal account of the
NHS in Molesey in 1960, when he first came down from
Scotland to join a practice in Molesey.
Visit to Surrey History Centre
During January and February two groups from the Society
visited the Surrey History Centre to take a tour behind
the scenes. The History Centre, which is in Goldsworth
Road Woking, was opened in 1999. The building was
purpose built to provide the best possible conditions
for the preservation of the historic documents stored
there and for public access to these documents.
January 15th 2008
Despite the wind and rain, there was a good turnout of
members at St Paul’s Church for a social evening and to
hear reports from our Research Groups. There were
displays around the Church of photos, maps and other
memorabilia, and many members brought along items from
their own collections.
November 13th 2007
Family History Talk ‘Relative Connections: Sources for
Family History at Surrey History Centre’
About 60 members and visitors came to Vine Hall to hear
a talk by Jill Hyams from the Surrey History Centre
about family history sources at Surrey History Centre.
September 7th 2007
History of the 1st Molesey Scout Group
Molesey was one of the first Scout groups to be set up
after the founder Lord Baden-Powell had the idea to run
groups to teach boys how to be good citizens in 1907.
The evening, held during 1st Molesey’s Centenary
celebrations, consisted of short talks coupled with
displays of memorabilia and photos collected by the 1st
Molesey Scout Group over many years.
July 30th 2007
Visit to Royal Holloway College
In the last years of his life, between 1881 and 1883,
Thomas Holloway, a self-made multi-millionaire whose
fortune had been made in patent medicines, paid well
over £80,000 (equivalent to more than 6 million pounds
in today's terms) for the seventy seven paintings which
make up the Royal Holloway Collection. Visitors were
given a tour of the Chapel and Quads, a talk on the
picture collection and a visit to the College archives.
June 27th 2007
Historic Molesey Walk
On a rather wet Wednesday at the end of June, a large
number of members turned out to hear Tony Osborne give a
short talk based around a walk in the Conservation area
of East Molesey Old Village. He showed a number of maps,
illustrating how the area had changed since the days of
King Henry VIII, and where remnants of boundary walls,
buildings and roads could still be seen today, and also
displayed photographs of buildings which unfortunately
are no longer standing. Having heard the talk, the
braver souls walked the walk. The rest of us went to the
historic pub – The Bell.
May 27th 2007
Talk by Ian Franklin on ‘Grace and Favour Apartments at
The first event of the Molesey Local History Society
took place, appropriately, in the grand surroundings of
Hampton Court Palace. More than 100 members met at the
Clore Centre, the new education facility at Hampton
Court, for refreshments and a brief talk by Rita
Ashbourne about the centre. We then moved across the
courtyard into the Barrack Block, where Ian Franklin
gave us an informative and amusing illustrated talk
about the Grace and Favour apartments. Ian has been
associated with the Palace as a local historian for 25
years, and has been a State Apartment Warder for ten